Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Thursday 17 February 2011

Fairness

I’ve no particular fondness for MPs of any party but I couldn’t help but consider the fairness of the treatment of Jim Devine and Eric Illsley, convicted of fiddling their parliamentary expenses, with that of some recent benefit frauds.
Mr Illsley was jailed for 12 months for stealing £14,500 from the public purse, and Mr Devine is reportedly facing 2 years in prison for a similar theft of £8,000.
Lisa Spindler, on the other hand fiddled, (stole by any other name) £22,500 in 3 year benefit fraud and got just six months jail, and that was suspended for 12 months!
Over a 4 year period Carole Bennett claimed £43,226 she was not entitled to, theft again, and did even better, 4 months prison suspended for a year, the same as Debra Morrissey who stole £23,000 over 6 years.
Smells suspiciously like victimisation to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment