Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Saturday 22 October 2011

Love Barnsley

The Daily Mail (well I suppose it would have to be) has taken exception to a District Judge at Barnsley objecting to defendants calling court staff ‘love’.

http//www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2051798/Judge-accused-discrimination-ban-Yorkshire-defendants-calling-court-staff-love.html

Now I’m a Yorkshireman born and bred but I too have, on various occasions, instructed those before the court not to call the court clerk ‘love’, an almost automatic reaction in my part of the world.

Well that must make me also guilty of discrimination against traditional Yorkshire dialect if Graeme Garvey of the Yorkshire Dialect Society is to be believed. I prefer to think of it as an expression of good manners not to use a familiarity to those you don’t know, especially one with overt sexist overtones.

No comments:

Post a Comment