Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Monday 9 July 2012

It Baffles Me


Motoring court again today, and something I found difficult to understand.
Five motorists, all caught driving a little over the 30mph limit, nothing too serious, 35 or 36mph and all had been offered attendance on a speed awareness course as an alternative to either a Fixed Penalty or a prosecution.


Now such courses involve a half-day attendance and cost the same as the fixed penalty, but incur no criminal record and  no penalty point endorsement on a driving licence - a 'no-brainer' one might think.

All five declined the offer,  failed to pay the alternative fixed penalty, and made no response to the summons which naturally followed. Consequentially, all five where fined substantial amounts and had their licences endorsed with 3 penalty points.

But why?

I wish someone would explain to me the logic of their thinking for I confess, it baffles me.

No comments:

Post a Comment