Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Thursday 7 April 2011

It's Never All Bad

It was ‘Traffic Court’ yesterday, the first one I’ve done for some time, and a disturbing trend was evident, that of the foreign national, uninsured, with no driving licence and unable to speak English.
Young men in the main, and predominately from Eastern Europe, they exhibited little or no understanding of the traffic laws in the UK and the requirement to hold a driving licence, to pass a driving test and to obtain insurance.
Without exception they all claimed to be without a job, and mostly ineligible for State Benefit, yet they could afford, on this non-existent income, to both buy and run a motor car!

I can only assume that those we saw are working in the ‘black economy’ and whether the imposition of penalty points on their non-existent driving licences, and in some cases a disqualification from driving, will have any modifying effect on their driving behaviour only time will tell, but I’m not holding my breath.

On the plus side they were unfailingly polite, deferential to a degree I rarely see in court these days, and accepted without question the court’s judgement; they must be doing something right in Poland!

No comments:

Post a Comment