Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Tuesday 19 April 2011

My Ideas on Dignity

I make no apologies for once more returning to the subject of piracy after reading a report in the Daily Express (Monday 18th April 2011).

According to the political and economic intelligence group Geopolicity, and the International Maritime Bureau, a Somali pirate can now earn £48000 a year from his criminal activities (150 times the average earnings in Somalia) and that there are as many as 1500 of them operating in the Red Sea/Indian Ocean.
The number of attacks has reportedly increased from 276 in 2005 to 445 last year, with 97 off Somalia in Jan to March 2011 in which 18 vessels were seized, 340 hostages taken and 7 sailors killed.

While this carnage continues unabated ‘experts’ gather for a conference in Dubai and our navy gives captured pirates cigarettes and lessons in how to treat hostages ‘with dignity’.

The ‘dignity’ I’d give these brigands would be delivered via a 4.5” gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment