Content




It is inevitable that, being who I am, this blog will contain a fair bit of comment on legal matters, including those cases which come before me in court. However, it is not restricted to such and may at times stray ‘off-topic’ and into whatever area interests me at the time.

All comments are moderated but sensible and relevant ones, even critical ones, are welcome; trolling and abuse is not and will be blocked.

Any actual case that I have been involved in, and upon which I may comment, will be altered in such a way as to make it completely unidentifiable.





Tuesday 5 April 2011

The Weekend News

Over the weekend I’ve read various newspaper reports which illustrate the strange state of modern British society.

Adam Pardoe breaks into the home of 70 year old woman, hits her twice in the face with a concrete block before stealing money and a gold watch just four weeks after receiving a community sentence for burglary, and I’ll bet the Pre-Sentence Report prepared by the Probation Service at the time said the risk of reconviction was low.

The shooting of five year old Thusha Kamaleswaran has revealed some insights into the gang culture in south London. According to a news article in the Sunday Express, an eighteen year old girl has, as part of her college studies, made a video called ‘Pushed To The Trigger’, which allegedly shows 8 and 9 year olds ‘rapping’ about ‘I’ll shoot my gun’. If there’s any truth in this report then I’d be interested in what the justification is for any college encouraging the acceptance of gun violence, for I’m damned if I can think of any.

On another topic altogether, it’s been reported that 400 Community Support Offices issued just 19 penalty notices in three years, as if this is evidence of their ineffectiveness. The Police, including CSOs, are there as much as anything else, as a visible deterrence to the commission of crime, not to dish out penalty notices like confetti at a wedding. One suspects the same reporter would be accusing these same CSOs of over-reaction if they’d issued 1900 PNs over the same period.
Some folk just can’t win.

No comments:

Post a Comment